Lisbon University Children and Youth Choir
In the context of children and youth projects that Miso Music Portugal develops, there are privileged partnerships with some ensembles, among which the CIUL and conductor Erica Mandillo occupy a prominent place. From 2010 to date we established several projects of collaboration and co-creation, including the show "The Little Girl Water Droplet".
The CIUL has an eclectic repertoire, including, to date, composers such as Purcell, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Cherubini, Rossini, Britten, Lopes-Graça, among many others, with special emphasis on ethnic music and contemporary music. More recently, and according to the natural evolution of our choristers, the need was felt to occasionally split the group into two distinct groups with very diverse capabilities indeed, but united by the same passion and enthusiasm. Thus is born the Petit CIUL, with younger elements of CIUL, and the Youth Group, composed of the twenty most experienced members of the group in an endless quest for the new and the beautiful.
And if we told you a story?... Once upon a time, there was a group of parents who sang on a university choir, and who asked one of them to teach their kids to sing. Born out of a dream of mixing movement with song, CIUL has made its debut in June 2005 at Aula Magna da Reitoria da Universidade de Lisboa with 15 children.
Since then, CIUL has grown to become a structure with 140 children, with ages ranging from 6 to 18 and with four distinctive groups: Workshop, Pre-Choir, Children Choir and YouthChoir.
CIUL has made more than one hundred performances, and played in almost all the major venues in Portugal, sang in the main Portuguese festivals and done four tours abroad, singing together with some of the most acclaimed international children's choirs. With its typical flash mobs on the streets, wherever they go, these children have entertained thousands, all together.
On screen, CIUL has been forever immortalized in the movie about Fernando Pessoa, "O Filme do Desassossego", of the renowned director João Botelho. The choir has also recorded some CDs, and recorded on DVD its choreographed contemporary multimedia opera "A Menina Gotinha de Água" by composer Miguel Azguime, presented to the public on several occasions.
- "Saint Matthew Passion" (J. S. Bach), under the direction of the conducteur Enrico Onofre, CCB;
- Dias da Música Festival, CCB;
- Organization and joint concert with Les Petits Chanteurs de Strasbourg, Aula Magna da Reitoria;
- "Mass of the Children" (J. Ritter);
- Closing concert of Festival de São Roque, where we also presented "The Ceremony of Carols"
- Participation in the "Filme do Desassossego" of the director João Botelho;
- First international tour: Zurich, Strasbourg and Basel;
- Festival Música Viva, CCB, where we sang with the acclaimed Tapiola Choir (Finland);
- Recording of the choral works of Fernando Lopes Graça, one of the most important Portuguese contemporary composers (CD released in 2012)
- Tour in Brussels, invited by the European Parliament, where we sang.
- Premiere of the multimedia opera by the Portuguese contemporary composer Miguel Azguime, "A Menina Gotinha de Água" (The Little Girl Water Droplet)
- Participation in "Jean D'Arc au Bûcher" (Honneger) under the direction of Simone Young, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian;
- Three concerts in the Festival Dias da Música, CCB;
- Participation in the celebrated Europäisches Jugendchorfestival, EJCF;
- Festival Música Viva, CCB.
- Tour in Belgium and Holland in March with 7 concerts (Conservatory of Amsterdam and of Brussels, among others);
- Gold Award (Level III) in the Summer Choral Fest 2013 - Portugal;
- Big Bang Festival, CCB, colaboration with Drumming GP;
- "Música Viva" Festival, S. Luiz, National Theater;
- Concert at Cascais Cultural Center, with first audition of the winning work of international songwriting Fernando Lopes Graça contest.
- Concert at Palácio Nacional de Belém, the Presidential Palace.
- In April, we sung in the St. Matthew Passion, Bach, in the Grand Auditorium of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, under the direction of Michel Corboz.
- In July, at the invitation of the Palau de la Música in Barcelona, we went to this city to perform two concerts with the Youth Choir of the Palau.